Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Catch Up.

Just wanted to stop in and let everyone know that I AM alive. :) That nasty cold really had me down for awhile and the last week has been spent playing catch up on laundry, housework, photo orders, etc.

Lots of stuff going on.....

-It's time to enroll Trent in preschool for the Fall. Not sure I'm ready for this. Afterall, it's been the two of us together almost every single day for the last 4 years. And this is an all-day, everyday preschool. Not only that, but the hurtin' it's gonna put on my wallet is going to be MAJOR! That's the price you have to pay for a good education in this county. I really wanted to homeschool, but I had to face the fact that I'm more of an entertainer than a teacher. I was afraid that I would rather play with macaroni and glue instead of learning how to add and subtract. My free spirit keeps me from being disciplined enough to set aside a block of time for structured learning. But anyway....Trent is SO ready for school. He talks about it constantly. He seemed a little uneasy when he realized that I wouldn't be going to school with him. Once I explained to him that I would drop him off and pick him up every morning and afternoon he was cool with it. It's going to be a big adjustment for all of us, but I think it's going to be good.

-My yard finally looks acceptable again. Not the next candidate for the monthly Garden Club award, but not too shabby either. The flowers are blooming, the grass has been cut and G cut down almost all of the hedges that were quickly becoming a nasty eyesore. Trent and I went to a plant swap at my parents' church Saturday and believe it or not...the plants we got are still living. Trent picked out the plants....I don't even know what half of them are....and he planted them that afternoon. Luckily it has been raining non-stop since then so they're all doing well!

-I bought a new crockpot. I rarely buy things for myself....seriously. But I NEEDED a new crockpot. I had one and G's mom borrowed it a few weeks ago, so I took it as an opportunity to get a new one. You're probably wondering why I would buy a new crockpot when I already had one. Well, my first crockpot belonged to my first husband's ex-wife. Yeah....time to toss that baby out and get a new one. So $30 later I have a new stainless-steel/black crockpot. I really wanted one with a timer, but I bought the best thing our Wal-Mart had. I have used that thing so much in the past 2 weeks it's crazy! It's so nice to get everything together in the morning and have a hot meal waiting by early evening.

-Today is Earth Day. What did you do to "go green"? I'm really wanting to be greener....really, I am. I'm more careful about what can be recycled and not trashed....and I'm trying to use green cleaners (that new Clorox stuff smells heavenly and is an awesome cleaner!!). I'm scrubbing my floors with vinegar and water instead of store bought cleaners...and it does a MUCH better job! I'm trying to make myself grab a cloth instead of a paper towel....I figure the little things count, too. I haven't converted to reusable grocery bags.....but I'm so very close. I think I could be a vegetarian and like it, but I know G and T would highly debate that one. The smartest thing I ever did was trade in my gas hog SUV for a car. Going from 16 MPG to 35 MPG has been AMAZING!! I still cringe when I have to fill-up, but when I realize that I could be spending DOUBLE.....ahhhh...it's so nice!! Plus my car payment is $500 less than it was with the SUV....it's a win-win situation if you ask me! So yay! Go green!! :)

-Wedding planning is the pits. The thoughts of running away and having a private wedding in Hawaii or some other cool place are looking REALLY good right now.

-Trent is *almost* potty trained. He's 4...it's about dog'gone time! So many have said that he'll just wake up one day and that will be the day. Well, it hasn't been like that. We have been "training" since he was 18 months old and started showing interest in the potty. We've done reward charts, stickers, candy, etc. We've tried the cold-turkey technique and the Commando technique. I've set timers....every 15 minutes....no luck. Now he's old enough that he knows what to do and when he needs to do it, but he's so stinkin' hard-headed. He is FINALLY to the point where he'll tell us when he has to go and will even go when he's wearing a Pull-Up. But he still has his share of "accidents".....or moments of laziness....whatever you want to call it. Just seeing that speck of light at the end of the tunnel has been wonderful!!!

I guess that's it. I haven't been taking too many pictures lately, but I'll share the ones I have taken soon.

No comments: