Sunday, June 8, 2008

Beach Trip: Day Six

Day Six: Friday. To say 'six days' sounds like a long time at the beach. But it really didn't feel that long....especially considering two of the days were our travel days. I took some of my work along with me and even shipped some photos off from the post office in Kill Devil Hills. Had to keep in touch with reality. :)

We didn't have to check out Friday. We had the cottage until Saturday, but Corey was graduating from high school and we felt we should be there. Don't think we didn't consider skipping it for another day at the beach. :) We even tried to talk Corey into ditching it and staying with us. I tell ya...the beach will make you crazy!

Leaving Friday, we didn't have to turn the key in until 6 PM. Well, Friday morning came and once we were up....we knew it was time to go. We took a quick walk on the beach. It was a little cloudy and crabs were everywhere....of course I didn't take my camera. We came back to the cottage and started packing/cleaning. By 12:00 we were pulling out of the driveway. While driving through Duck we *almost* turned around and went swimming for a few more hours....but we knew 6:00 would come quickly and we'd still be faced with the heartbreak of leaving.

I conclude our trip recap with what I call "Hulan photos". Hulan (I hope I spelled his name right) was a man who used to go to camp with us and was known for taking photos through the bus window. As we drove away, I started snapping crazy shots....trying to keep my mind off of the journey ahead.

So here you go.....


Trent saying goodbye to the pool. We could have stayed at the cottage and played in the pool and never go anywhere else and he would have been perfectly happy.


Trent waving goodbye in the car. He looks sad, doesn't he?!? :) By Friday he was missing his toys at home. He kept asking to play video games and even though the cottage had two systems...they had no games. So Trent was ready to play his Wii and get home to his Legos.


This is the Sunset Grille and Raw Bar. Of course you can see that on the sign. :) This was where we had dinner the first night. It's a Fishbones restaurant, but our favorite Fishbones was the small lunch stop in the shopping area we loved so much. You'll see a window shot of that, soon.

The Wee Winks Market. This is where you buy your groceries in Duck. If you can't find it here or the veggie market you have to drive to Southern Shores to get to the closest Food Lion.


And this is the veggie market. They have fruits, veggies and flowers. Very fresh and very affordable! If you need fresh fruits or veggies and you're in Duck...this is where you go. They also had a meat market for meats.

This is a crazy shot of Fishbones. They have THE BEST crabcake sandwiches! Their burgers aren't too shabby either! I recommend the 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' with smoked gouda.


Trent doing what he does best in the car. This VSmile Pocket has been a lifesaver on road trips!


This sign was very exciting to see when we arrived at the beach. It meant we were getting ready to pick up the key to our cottage. However, on Friday it took on a whole new meaning.

And this is G going to turn in our key. The saddest moment of our vacation. But we're making plans to go again. I've had a few inquiries about some beach weddings, so I'm hoping and praying they'll work out!

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.


Ok...probably the worst picture of me in the history of pictures....but this is a series of our sad faces. Good thing I'm normally a happy person. This look doesn't do much for me. :)


Awwwww. Poor G. Work life is calling him back home. As a matter of fact, while I type this he is at work. He took off 2 days for his brother's graduation and now he has a few more left to work.


And this dude can't look sad no matter how hard he tries. This was actually the second attempt at a genuine frown. At least he's cute when he tries. :)

Day Six ends our beach trip. We stopped in Elizabeth City on the way home....just to prolong the trip. And then we stopped at G's parents house to pick up some things and slice a watermelon. When we got home our cat, Sadie was SO excited to see us. My parents and G's brother had been checking on her during the week, but I guess its not the same as having us home. The laundry is done...I did that before we left the cottage. So now we're just adjusting to being home.

And now I'd like to thank the US government and our Economic Stimulus check for making this vacation possible. :)

2 comments:

Kat_RN said...

I really liked it! The beach looks much like the ones we used to go to near Charleston S.C. and your little one is adorable. My Hubby and I are starting to look at vacations for two, our children have summer jobs out of state and will be leaving home for good at some point within the next year or so. I remember the hunt for pottys.
You are lucky that your son had to work for the frown. I guess now I will have to look for you on the Etsi site.
Kat

S, E, or O said...

Looks like you all have a super duper fun time! GREAT!!! :)