Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Girls.

Last night we had Olivia and Elysa over for a couple of hours. They are staying with my parents this week and I figured everyone could use a change in scenery. We played PlayDoh and Hi-Ho-Cherry-O and lots of other fun stuff.

I've learned that the key to having multiple kids in the house without going too crazy is to keep them BUSY! Once they stopped one activity we moved right into the next or they'd go crazy...and so would I!

I've also learned that you have to pair kids up with other kids they play well with. Trent and Elysa are too much alike...so I have to pair Olivia and Trent together. Then I have to explain to Olivia that she is in charge of making sure Trent doesn't get in trouble (this helps control the unending giggles, too). :)

However, this leaves Elysa needing a playmate. Really all she needs is someone to talk to. That girl is the storyteller. She'll follow you around for hours telling little stories....things she thinks/dreams about.

Things I learned from Elysa:

-She had to go pick strawberries today (well, yesterday...you get the point)....but what she really wanted to do was go on an airplane ride. I know I just had this puzzled look on my face because we had to bribe her with strawberry picking to get her to come to Nana and Papa's. So I question her a little about this airplane ride...knowing my parents wouldn't even THINK of taking them on a trip like that!! Then I remembered....this is Miss Storyteller. EVERYTHING becomes a tale of adventure.

-Elysa wants 8 horses when she grows up. And they'll have a horse race. Then she asks me if airplanes race. Huh? Oh...yeah....airplanes. Gotcha.

-She knows who she wants to marry already. His name is Aaron (sp?). She's dead-set on this and I don't see anything changing her mind....except maybe an airplane ride. Ha!

-PlayDoh colors should be mixed. One solid color is no fun. (Hence the big ball of mixed PlayDoh that is now in a Ziploc bag.) I do like the way it looks. :)

So see..she'll tell you something.

Olivia.....she's the knowledgeable one. She has this insane fascination with bugs. She tells me that she likes raising bugs...feeding them and making sure they're still breathing. So she spent a good amount of time reading one of Trent's bug books. She did mention that they were going to bring their bug collection to my house, but Nana wouldn't let them. THANKS, Nana!!! :) Olivia is also very serious and a germ-a-phobic...hahaha! You just have to know her. Needless to say....those two girls make an interesting pair. We had great fun!


This is Elysa and her turtle. She also made her turtle a pond...and a cake....and I'm not sure what the other thing was but it was made with LOTS of colors.



Yum! PlayDoh bread!

Yes, he sticks his tongue out when he's concentrating.


This was my turtle. Ain't he cute?

2 comments:

Nana said...

Just to set the record straight, Olivia has already told Elysa that she might as well forget marrying Aaron when she grow ups because when they move to WF she will meet someone else to marry. (Seems there is a rivalry already between these two sweet girls, because after talking with Mommie, there is reason to believe that big sister may also have a flame for this little lad.)

Oh, and after reading Trent's bug book, Olivia finds she made a mistake. While collecting beetles, and I mean huge black beetles she was also collecting earth worms, all in the same jar. This morning most of the worms were gone and slime was left on the sides of the bug jar. She read last night that beetles eat worms. Wow! what a "home school" science lesson.

It's been interesting but a lot of fun. Grandparenting is so much fun! Hope you get a chance to try it one day.

The Nana of this bunch of kids!

S, E, or O said...

I love the photos and your little comments about the evening. I am glad they had such fun! I am going to copy what you and mom have written here for the girls' scrapbooks! :)